TEA Implements AI Grading for STAAR Test Essays


SAN ANGELO, TX — Changes are coming to the way STAAR tests are graded in Texas. 

The Texas Education Agency (TEA) announced in 2023 that it will utilize Artificial Intelligence (AI) to grade the essay portion of the exam.

Under the new system, AI will grade 75% of the written portion of the exam, while humans will still grade the remaining 25%. The AI system is also designed to flag any responses it is unsure about for human review.

The move has sparked concern among educators who believe standardized tests are crucial for students and school districts. Critics are questioning the accuracy of AI grading and the reasons behind this shift to hybrid scoring.

The TEA maintains that despite the change in process, the quality of scoring remains unchanged. The agency emphasized that 25% of the STAAR test is still scored by highly trained and qualified human graders.

Subscribe to the LIVE! Daily

The LIVE! Daily is the "newspaper to your email" for San Angelo. Each content-packed edition has weather, the popular Top of the Email opinion and rumor mill column, news around the state of Texas, news around west Texas, the latest news stories from San Angelo LIVE!, events, and the most recent obituaries. The bottom of the email contains the most recent rants and comments. The LIVE! daily is emailed 5 days per week. On Sundays, subscribers receive the West Texas Real Estate LIVE! email.


Most Recent Videos


Oh boy, now it will be much easier for numbers to be skewed and can only blame AI.

Nice move pubic education system. 

Post a comment to this article here:

X Close