SAN ANGELO, TX – Goodfellow Air Force Base's Air Force Emergency Management team was dispatched to a hazardous situation in West San Angelo Wednesday afternoon.
According to someone close to the family, on the morning of Jul. 14, the body of local professional pyrotechnician Ken Landon was found in his home after suffering from an apparent heart attack.
When officials arrived on scene a chemical odor could be smelled inside the house and so Goodfellow AFB's AFEM was called to the home located on Waco st.
The San Angelo Police Department and San Angelo Fire Department were on scene and asking the public to avoid the area.
Landon was the curator and caretaker for one of San Angelo's most known attractions, the International Waterlily Collection. He also designed and performed a number of professional fireworks shows across the Concho Valley including this year's Star Spangled Banner Concert & Fireworks Show. Landon was a professional pyrotechnician and handled professional-sized fireworks. However, he maintained storage of fireworks on a ranch near Miles. Friends close to the family do not believe fireworks inside the home are the source of the chemical smell.
No explosive material has been found in the house at this time.