NWS: Scattered Thunderstorms for the Labor Day Weekend

SAN ANGELO – Showers and thunderstorms are expected across the Concho Valley and the City of San Angelo Friday afternoon and forecasters say the next week could be unseasonably wet as well.  

According to meteorologists with the National Weather Service in San Angelo, there is a system of low pressure situated across the Concho Valley and Heartland Friday.  That will provide the instability and moisture to create shower and thunderstorm activity Friday afternoon.  The area most likely to see showers and thunderstorms is from Barnhart to Sterling city to Brownwood to Junction.  An additional two inches of precipitation is possible with the larger storms. 

There is also a tropical system expected to make landfall in Baja California around midweek.  The track of that storm system isn't certain at this time, but some models show it moving through either New Mexico or Central Texas so daily rain showers and Thunderstorms are in the forecast for the next seven days.  

There is a 40% chance of thunderstorms Friday afternoon in the San Angelo area, then a 60% chance Saturday that drops to a 30% chance of thunderstorms Sunday.  Labor Day, there is a 40% chance of thunderstorms.  

Officially at Mathis Field, 2.49 inches of rain has fallen since Monday.  That puts the total rainfall for the year at 6.1 inches which is still 7.94 inches below average for September 1.  

Weather information will be updated as needed throughout the Labor Day weekend.   



Subscribe to the LIVE! Daily

The LIVE! Daily is the "newspaper to your email" for San Angelo. Each content-packed edition has weather, the popular Top of the Email opinion and rumor mill column, news around the state of Texas, news around west Texas, the latest news stories from San Angelo LIVE!, events, and the most recent obituaries. The bottom of the email contains the most recent rants and comments. The LIVE! daily is emailed 5 days per week. On Sundays, subscribers receive the West Texas Real Estate LIVE! email.


Most Recent Videos

Post a comment to this article here:

X Close